Choose Your Candles Wisely
During the process of trying to pick a certain wax for your home, around your kids and pets can be difficult. You might have allergies or someone in our family has allergies and you want a clean burning candle for you home as well as the sweet smell candles bring.
Every company will tell you that their candle is the best without facts behind their claim to support it. I am going to break down the pros and cons of both the paraffin wax candles and the soy candles and you can choose for yourself which one you prefer.
Lets start with paraffin wax
- Paraffin is the most common candle out there right now, you see them in many big corporate stores including; Walmart, Target, Shopko, Bath & Body Works ect. Paraffin wax is cheap to buy which makes it cheap to turn into candles.
- Average burn time on a paraffin wax candle that is 8 oz is around 35 hours approximately. Each candle will vary slightly could burn a little less or burn a little more.
- Paraffin wax candles are also known for stirring up allergies, having a very smoky burn.
- Paraffin wax has such a smoky burn because of soot, soot is a particle that remains solid when burning which is a result of incomplete combustion of carbon. This carbon contains fuels, mostly petroleum based fuels. This carbon petroleum soot is found in paraffin wax and only very small traces have been found in soy. In fact most candles made from paraffin wax contains high levels of toxic benzene and tolune found when burning the candle. These both are carcinogens. These toxins are found in diesel fuel fumes, these toxins are what trigger allergens as well as cause respiratory issues.
Clean burning is highly wanted in a candle, because of the stains paraffin wax candles leave. Those candles that leave soot on the walls, jars, curtains, drapes and furnishings is hard to come off. The soy candles don’t have this soot and therefor leaves you with better air quality and reduces the amount of soot in the home that causes maintenance problems.
Soy Candles Pros and Cons vs Paraffin Candles
- Soy candles normally burn longer than paraffin wax candles, up to 2x as much burning time.
- Soy wax in made from all natural vegetables instead of the refined gasoline by-product of paraffin wax.
- Soy was is also 100% bio-gradable and is very easy to clean up wax spills. All you need is soap and water.
- Soy wax also holds fragrance longer because the candle burns so much slower than the paraffin wax which is easier for the candle to retain the fragrance instead of burning off quickly.
- Soy candles do have appearance flaws that petroleum candles do not have. Soy will expand and contract with the change of temperature that will leave air bubbles in the jar.
- Soy candles are also known for having a frost or orange peel texture to it.
These little imperfections are for sure a flaw in appearance but in no way affect how the candle burns.
While both candles still contain fragrance oil, one has a much cleaner burn and longer burn time than the other.
What candle would you burn?
After reading our info I am sure you will choose to burn an all natural soy candle, like I do. I love the J&L Candles for a few reasons. They are soy, they are affordable and they burn and smell great!
Like soy candles? Order yours now! Wholesale highly fragrant soy candles.