The bedroom is one of the most important places in your home where you sleep after a long day of work. Ideally, it is the place where body and mind rest, rejuvenates and gets ready for another beautiful day. It is the place where we find respite from toxins and stressors of the outside world. The bedroom is your space, to escape from the reality of this world and rest in peace. So, it makes sense to create a fresh and healthy bedroom – a sanctuary that facilitates uninterrupted sleep and a good night’s rest.
However, bedrooms easily get untidy and accumulate a lot of toxins over time. This can affect your peace of mind and creativity. Below are a few ways to detoxify your bedroom.
- Choose your Bed and mattress – Considering the amount of time you spend in your bed, buying a comfortable and toxin-free bed can make a huge difference to your physical and mental health. Look for a bed made from natural materials produced organically like cotton, wool, and natural latex. Try to buy untreated blankets and sheets by avoiding wrinkle-free, stain resistant materials to keep your toxic exposure to a minimum.
- Keep the air clean – It is the air you breathe, whether sleeping or awake so it is important to keep the air in room fresh and clean. If the air outside is clean opening the windows is the best way to keep the room well ventilated. If the air outside is not up to scratch, then air purifiers might be the answer. You can further reduce the toxicity of your room by introducing air purifying plants. They enhance air quality and also help in controlling stress and boost well being. Aloe Vera, chrysanthemum, bamboo palm, and peace lily are some of the plants that work beautifully in the bedroom.
- Choose calm Colors – The bedroom is a place to rest so people mostly prefer calm colors. You can choose to paint your room with neutral colors. Pastel colors like soft blues, lavender greens and pinks also look wonderful. They are soft and bring a sense of relaxation which is important for good sleep. Opt for non-toxic, organic paints compared to other synthetic paints which can be harmful to health.
- Stay close to nature – One way to ensure a better quality of sleep is to stay close to nature, have beautiful flowers and plants in your bedroom. Not only do they look good, but they also have a relaxing and calming effect on you. Having real plants might demand high maintenance. So the smartest choice would be to choose fake plants. Artificial cactus, fake bonsai tree plants are some excellent choices for the bedroom. Artificial trees are great for filling corners in your bedroom. Having fake trees means you never have to worry about watering and fertilizing it. You just have to dust it regularly to keep them looking great.
- Keep clutter to a minimum – A clutter-free bedroom is the simplest way to make cleaning easy and create a calmer sleep environment. Too many things left out in open can create visual clutter and be difficult to maintain. Invest in furniture that comes with a concealed storage unit. Bad clothes management is a biggest cause of clutter. Keep clothes and other storage categorized and simple so that it is easily reachable and can be replaced after use. Discard all clothes and items that are no longer necessary. Do not have too many accessories in your room and remove any unnecessary furniture
- Add color – You can choose simple and clean art for the bedroom. You can add a few prints to walls and give a new texture without major changes. Avoid cluttering your wall with thick, bold frames. As lot of dust can deposit on these frames. Go for minimalist frames or no frames. Add little metallic elements on your walls. They add sparkle and provide a refreshing look. However, keep these metal decorations to a minimum as they can give an impression of clutter if overdone. Opt for a simple vase or a lamp to give more structure. Keep the accessories to minimum, as less is more.
- Soy and Beeswax candles – Scented candles look and smell great in the bedroom. Burning conventional candle contributes to air pollution in your room. Unscented and clean burning candle is available in the market and these are great alternatives. Soy and beeswax candles are excellent choices that reduce exposure to these toxins. Eliminate synthetic oils and fresheners and use natural fresheners. Essential oil diffusers disperse natural oils in the air and they create a calming effect instantly. These are the safest ways to keep your room fragrant and you can also choose oils that have a positive and calming effect.
- Let the positivity spread – Bedroom can easily absorb and hold a lot of negative energy. Try to fill your space with more positive energy. Exposure to sunlight in the morning helps to get liveliness into your room. Pull curtains back and allow your room to be washed with natural light and fresh air. Burning a bundle of herbs, incense sticks or diffusing some essential oils are great ways to start your day.
Detoxing your bedroom does not necessarily mean a complete and expensive makeover. Adopting a few changes in day to day life can help you in accomplishing it. Take inspiration from what is around you and modify as you like. Detoxing is more a state of mind rather than a set of rules to follow. Rearranging your room once in a while can give a fresh look to your room. Do not allow non bedroom activities in the place meant for sleeping and relaxing. Eliminate electronic clutter as the blue lights from electronic devices are disruptive to your sleep cycle. Keep the room as dust-free as possible by regular cleaning. Bunch of flowers and fake plants can make it a pleasant place to rest. Cleaning and detoxing your bedroom can help reduce stress and improve the quality of sleep.
Detox your bedroom and enjoy a good night’s rest!