By Rachel Crocker
Put those chemical-filled cookie bags back on the shelf where they belong! Stay on the diet straight and narrow with these filling, delicious, fat-loss approved snacks. Bonus: They’re all under 200 calories!
1. Slice one hard-boiled egg. Place pieces on five low-salt whole-grain crackers topped with small tomato slices. Add ground pepper to taste.
2. Dip 10 carrot sticks into two tablespoons of hummus. Go the homemade route and whip up this tasty reader recipe.
3. Make use of your leftovers: Shred two ounces of turkey breast and place on half a toasted whole wheat English muffin. Place two thin slices of avocado and a large sliced strawberry on top.
4. Cut a small apple into eight pieces. Mix together one tablespoon of natural peanut butter and one teaspoon of honey; spread evenly on each slice.
5. Lightly toast one small slice of whole-grain bread. Cover its surface with two ounces of drained water-packed tuna and top with one tablespoon of shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted.
6. Cut one large flaxseed tortilla in half. (Save the other half for your next snack attack.) In a small bowl, mash one-quarter cup of blueberries and sprinkle with cinnamon. Spread one tablespoon of low-fat cream cheese onto one half, then top with the blueberry mixture. Fold and enjoy.
7. Have a quick, colorful salad: Toss three cups of baby spinach, 10 cherry tomatoes and one tablespoon of pine nuts with two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
8. Mix a half-cup of cooked quinoa with one to two tablespoons of chopped, sautéed onion, one-quarter cup of canned lentils (drained and rinsed) and a dash of garlic powder. Add a pinch of chili powder for heat. Warm slightly in the microwave before eating and garnish with tomato slices, lemon and parsley (optional)