10 Spices for the Gluten- Free Diet
Making the switch to gluten free foods after several years of eating processed foods can be rather difficult. It is important to remember to educate yourself on which foods are safe for you to eat if you happen to have Celiac disease. Many packaged foods have preservatives and additives that are definitely not good for your health. Many different spices can be used to enhance the gluten free diet
Here is a list of 10 spices for the gluten free diet.
10 Spices for the Gluten Free Diet
- Celery Salt- Celery salt can be used to enhance soups, egg and potato salads, cabbage as well as coleslaw.
- Curry Powder- Curry powder is a blend of many spices put together in certain quantities. The spices found in curry powder include turmeric, cumin, ginger, black pepper, fenugreek, allspice, coriander, fennel seed, and red pepper. It can be used to give flavor to egg dishes, white meat, red meat, fish, cooked vegetables, and even poultry.
- Herbes de Province- This blend of herbs adds flavor to a variety of foods. It consists of a combination of the following herbs- marjoram, thyme, tarragon, as well as some other herbs. It can be used to enhance vegetables, fish, red meat, and poultry. This gourmet blend is fragrant and slightly sweet.
- Lemon Pepper- This fragrant, slight spicy blend marries the tang of lemon with the light heat of black pepper. Used to enhance the flavors of fish, dips, vegetables, meat, poultry, and salad dressings.
- Garam Masala- This spice is a blend of several spices. It is slightly spicy, warm and woodsy. Can be used to enhance red meat, white meat, fish, chicken, rice, and other seafood.
- Barbecue Seasoning- This is again a combination of herbs and spices. It can be used to flavor poultry, vegetables, red meat, white meat, and fish.
- Italian Seasoning- This spice blend consists of several different herbs. Marjoram, sage, basil, rosemary, thyme, and oregano make up this blend. It is used in tomato based dishes. Pizza, pasta, potatoes, poultry, fish, vegetables, and seafood can be flavor enhanced by using Italian seasoning.
- Chili Powder- Chili Powder is bold, spicy, and full of flavor. It is used to enhance the taste of tacos, fish, hamburgers, stew, and even egg dishes.
- Cajun Seasoning- Cajun seasoning is a combination of hot peppers, salt and vinegar. It is used to enhance seafood, fish, red meat, white meat, and poultry.
- Taco Seasoning- Taco seasoning is used to season tacos and so much more. It can be used in hamburgers, salsas, dips, tacos, beans, steak, and ground beef.
Try some of these spices and spice blends the next time you are making a gluten-free meal. They will certainly add flavor that may make you reach for that second serving.