Smoking ~ what comes to mind when you hear that word? Or when you think of a loved one who has this horrible addiction? I know for me I think of how much I love my sister and oh how I wish she would quit. Not only for her health, but for her kids, her pocketbook and for herself. Smoking is one of those things that so many in the world today try time and time again to stop, and just can’t seem to overcome the habit. It is very sad. My Mom smoked for many years and after trying to quit many times I think she just gave up. I have never been a smoker so don’t know what the hold those damn cigarettes have on people.. but I do know that you can get help.
First step of course is wanting to quit, and after that just realize that you can stop smoking now!
Quitting smoking is possible. One of the first steps toward quitting is knowing the facts about how much smoking harms ourselves and those around us. A few of the many reasons to stop smoking:
- Smoking causes cancer. Lung cancer is now the most common cancer globally.
- Smoking increases the risk of sudden infant death syndrome in pregnant mothers.
- Smoking from a young age can result in early menopause in middle-aged women.
- Smoking reduces estrogen levels in women and accelerates thinning of the bones.
- Smoking is a common cause of erectile dysfunction in men, in many cases so severe that it cannot be treated by medication.
- Smoking increases the chances of developing Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at high risk for all of the same medical risks as their family members who smoke. They are also more likely to have behavioral problems.
Just know that there is help, all you have to do is accept it. So, are you ready to stop smoking now?