Refreshing Lilac Infused Lemonade
Lilac infused lemonade is a fantastic twist on the traditional summertime drink. Just like pansies and many others, lilacs are an edible flower that adds nice flavor and gorgeous color to recipes. Lilacs can be picked right off the tree and used to garnish salads, rice and more. The most flavor and essence however, is extracted through slow simmering in a liquid. You would then use the liquid in your recipe, like this lemonade.
We created a lilac “simple syrup” to infuse our homemade country lemonade. Instead of using white sugar (to keep this recipe clean eating approved) we used honey. Slowly simmer the lilac flowers with honey in water for about 15 minutes and you have an amazing, sweet, floral “syrup”.
Make lilac ice cubes by simply covering lilac flowers with water and freezing! They look beautiful in drinks.
- 6 fresh lemons
- 32 ounces of water
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 lilac flower bunch
- 2 cups ice
- Pour 16 oz of water into a sauce pan with 1 lemon cut into wedges, a small handful of lilac flowers and the honey.
- Bring to a boil, immediately reduce to simmer. Heat for 10 minutes
- Cut the remaining lemons in half and squeeze the juice into a container over a strainer. The strainer will catch the seeds.
- Add ice and 16 oz of water. Mix well.
- Add the lilac “simple syrup”, Mix again.
- Give it a taste! You may need more lemon depending on the size and how juicy your lemons were. Stir in an additional tablespoon of honey if you like your lemonade more sweet.
- Serve over ice, garnish with lilac flowers & lemon wedges.
- TO MAKE OUR LILAC ICE CUBES- Simply fill ice cube tray slots half way with lilac flowers, top with water. Freeze until solid.
Love refreshing, crisp, cold drinks on a hot summer day?
Try our Raspberry Lime Iced Green Tea!