Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: Serves 12
Cost per Serving: $.98
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups sour cream, at room temperature
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
* Zest of 1 orange
* 3 large eggs, at room temperature
* 3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
* 1 14-oz. can whole-berry cranberry sauce
* 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Make cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 12-cup tube or Bundt pan. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix sour cream and vanilla.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, both sugars and orange zest until fluffy and light, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Scrape down bowl. Beat in half of flour mixture, then all of sour cream, then remaining flour, beating until just combined. Fold in pecans. In a medium saucepan, warm cranberry sauce over medium-low heat, stirring, until softened.
3. Spread 1/3 of batter in pan. Spread 1/2 of cranberry sauce over. Repeat layers, ending with last 1/3 of cake batter. Gently run a skewer or thin knife through batter to swirl cranberry sauce in a marble pattern. Bake cake until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; unmold onto rack to cool completely.
4. Make glaze: When cake is cool, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and juice until glaze is smooth and has desired consistency (add more juice or sugar if glaze is too thick or thin). Drizzle glaze over cake. Let stand until glaze sets, about 10 minutes.
23g (sat 12g)
All You, DECEMBER 2010