We all love summers for more reasons than one. After successfully surpassing the lethal ordeal of the winter cold, summer is like a gift of God to us for having put up with the worst. Though the wonders of summer are far too many to count (sunny skies, blossoming bushes, pool parties, and
beyond), it also poses a few concerns (read weight woes).The impact of the winter gluttony continues to show on people’s waistlines until summer, and everyone spends long hours at the gym trying to get those sexy washboard abs to flaunt at the beach. But, is that the only area of your body you need to tone up to look like a million bucks in a swimsuit? Nah-ah! There’s more than just a flat tummy that will give you a bikini-ready physique. Here are the five body areas you need to tone up for summer:
- Arms – Picture this – you’re getting ready for a day bash by the poolside and have a cutesy off-shoulder summer dress hanging in your closet. You realize it’s the perfect outfit to wear to the party until you try it on and see the flab on your arms bounce each time you move. Not a pretty sight, is it? We figured! Get Jennifer Anniston’s perfectly toned arms by practicing 3 sets of sit-up pullovers along with 30 minutes of cardio workout, 5 times a week.
How to do it – Lie on your back with bent knees, flat feet and extended arms holding lightweight dumbbells. Suck in your stomach and lift your head up. Pull your arms (holding the dumbbells) back towards the floor and hold the position for a few seconds. Repeat the exercise.
- Thighs – Thunder thighs may have worked well for our yesteryear starlets, but if you want to rock a bikini body, you should aim at getting well toned and taut thighs. Unless you have a genie to grant you your wish, achieving great thighs isn’t going to be an overnight business. But hey, neither was Rome built in a day! You can practice 10 to 15 reps of single leg squats on each leg at least 4-5 times a week (alternate days) for fabulous thighs and hips.
How to do it – Stand with your feet together and arms resting on the sides. Shift your body weight onto your right foot and place your left foot toe beside your right foot to ensure balance. Straighten your back, gradually bend and sit on your right leg till your thighs are parallel to the ground, while raising your arms in front. Hold the position for a second, and stand up by pressing the heel of your right foot.
- Butts – It’s safe to say that 2014 was the year of the booty, and it will continue to be so if pop culture references are anything to go by. If you want to walk around in your hot pants flaunting a firm and sexy tush, this summer, marching hip raises should form a part of your daily workout regimen.
How to do it - Lie on your back, with bent knees and feet flat on the floor. Lift your hips such that you form a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. Lift one knee towards your chest and bring it back to the resting position. Repeat with the other knee and continue alternating.
- Abs – When talking about a hot bod, how can we miss out on the abs? A toned torso is probably one of the most important aspects of a summer-ready body and is probably also the hardest to achieve! Medicine ball oblique crunches will take you a step (or many) closer to your dream of getting a flat tummy.
How to do it - Sit in a way that your thighs and upper torso form a V shape while keeping your lower legs crossed and lifted. Hold a lightweight medicine ball in both your hands and move it from the left to the right side of your body. Maintain the V position while doing the exercise. Practice 3 sets of 15 reps at least 3 – 5 times a week.
- Legs – Trying to get your legs to be lean, mean and sexy? Well, if you are then its time to start exercising your hamstrings, calves and quads with this farmer’s walk on toes exercise. Trust us, you’ll need no contouring to fake sexy legs any longer.
How to do it - Hold a pair of heavy dumbells in both your hands such that they are parallel to your hips. Raise your heels and walk to and fro for a minute.
Along with the pointers and exercises mentioned above, ensure you ask your fitness trainer to introduce other variations in your workout regimen to suit your needs. If you’re looking for a quicker way to shed the pounds, you could also try out detox and diet plans. Always remember, however, that there is no substitute to a good workout and a wholesome diet in order to get a perfectly sculpted body. Good luck and happy summer!
Author Bio : Vineetha Reddy
Being a regular practitioner and adviser of everything related to nutrition, fitness, health and wellness, I also have begun to write and contribute to this knowledge ecosystem. I strongly believe that the organic food you find in your pantry provide the best benefits for good health. Follow me for my best ideas and solutions :