Think you can’t fit a workout in today? Think you are just to busy, don’t have any free time, or just not sure when or what to do? Check out some of these fun, quick, easy, and effective ways to get a workout in any day of the week no matter what you are doing or where you are. I totally understand not having time to hit the gym every day. Sometimes it’s hard to find that 1 hour time slot to commit to a gym or fitness class. But, there are so many things a person can do every day to just squeeze in that little workout every day.
A great list of things compiled by me and Theresa Roemer
1. Sit up straight at your desk engaging your core muscles. If your upper and lower abs are working, its like doing light crunches as opposed to sitting hunched over, which means no muscles are engaged and they are literally like Jello.
2. While up and straight, squeeze your glute muscles, pulsing up and down in your seat. These are mini-squats in your chair. Do three reps of ten each, you should feel the burn.
3. Alternate your glute s
4. Work your calve muscles by toggling your back and forth (up on your toes and then in a flex), in sync. Put emphasis on the stretch forward and back, feel the muscles on the backs of your legs push and pull. Do three reps of ten.
5. If you have a chair with arms, lift your body up doing arm push-ups and hold your body weight up just two inches from the chair for 10-20 seconds before releasing. You can also pulse in place doing three reps of ten. This is great for the lateral muscles in your arms.
6. Leave your desk and go for a brisk 10-minute walk anywhere you feel comfortable. This could be up and down a set of stairs in your building, or around the block. As long as the walk is brisk and your heart rate goes up, you’ve achieved the goal.
7. If you have an office or can hop in to a private conference room, just 60 seconds of jumping jacks will do wonders for your heart and brain.
8. If you have a private space, do 5-10 pushups, or hold a plank for 10-20 seconds. This will strengthen your core and improve your overall strength, while also speed up your heart rate.
9. Stand about three feet from a wall, facing the wall, and place your hands on the wall shoulder width apart, chest high. Lean forward and do push-ups off the wall, three reps of ten.
10. If you are going somewhere and need to park, park far away and walk. Just the extra walking to and from the entrance of the store will give you those few extra steps a day to help with your cardio.
11. Do squats while you brush your teeth. Might sound funny, but I do it every morning. I have an electric toothbrush and get in 60 squats in, every morning and night.
12. Take the dogs for a walk. Kill 2 birds with one stone (as they say). Exercise for you and your dog is a win win. You most likely have to take the dog for a walk so they can go potty, right.. so why not get exercise for you both.
13. Do counter push ups when cooking. I do this all the time. It is easy, like doing a pushup against a wall, but using a counter.
14. Play with your kids. A good session of playing catch, Frisbee, tag, hula hoop, or any other fun activity.
15. Whatever you do, make it count and enjoy it. Life is to short, and your health is too important.